Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Provide free child care!!!

I completely agree with Angela DeRiggi on her editorial child care. Free child care should be provided for families who are at or near the poverty level as Angela stated in her argument. Times are hard for these families they can barely make ends meet. Angela makes a very good point and gives a great example about the middle class struggling since she was a Nanny for one of these families and how the mother accommodated herself better having two kids watched at home and the third one in day care since day care is very expensive. With this economy is hard to have all of your children placed in a day care when the price is very high just for one imagine two, three or more you would just be working to pay the child care you minus well stay home and that’s the reason why many mothers actually stop working. Supporting her argument Angela talks about The HBO documentary Paycheck to Paycheck about the life of Katrina Gilbert and her living situation that was very hard for her and her children she was able to find a day care that she could barely afford if the daycare would’ve been free her economic status could have been better. 

I have two children of my own and honestly that’s the reason why they are not in day care today, my oldest one was when I was in high school because my school had free child care for students. That worked out well but when I graduated that’s when it became very difficult for me because I didn’t have a job that paid well I could barely afford my son’s diapers and milk so I ended up having to find a baby sitter near home that didn’t charge me as much as a day care would. I had to even stop going to school for a while due to my economy situation, today I have a better job and can afford many more things and provide my children with what they need I was even able to go back to school and finish my certification as a Medical Assistant and now I’m at ACC but even with better circumstances that I have achieved placing my child in a day care will never happen because of the price being sky high! I found myself better just having my son with a baby sitter. 

Another example, that I thought was very interesting for this topic that happened recently in Arizona; a single mother who had an interview with an insurance company, left her 2-year-old and 6 month old son in the vehicle because she had no one to watch them. The mother can now face charges and possibly a sentence of seven years, it’s sad to see stuff like this happen of course there’s no excuse for leaving your children unattended with temperatures that exceeded 100 degrees but sometimes is hard to cope with everything by yourself with no one around to help, that you end up making poor decisions like this woman did. If the government offered free child care maybe situations like this wouldn’t occur.

No comments: